Hornby OO R30346 Locomotion No1 Stockton & Darlington Railway 0-4-0

MRP £169.99

Next Warehouse Delivery: Oct 24
Must be ordered - delivery as soon as possible.
(Product Ref 124344)
Cookies are disabled.
To place an order please call 01453 377030
Have a question about this product? Let us know

'Locomotion' No. 1 was an early example of ingenuity for the use of motive power on British railways. The Stockton & Darlington Railway ordered the engine in 1824 after its construction by the pioneering railway engineers, Robert Stephenson & Company, in Newcastle as an 0-4-0 locomotive in 1825. They initially ordered four engines, including 'Locomotion'. The fifth engine was a different design and completed in 1827. The original nickname of 'Locomotion' was 'Active', and this is how it was referred to until the summer of 1833 when it became 'Locomotion'. The engine only gained its number in 1827.

The locomotive made its historic debut on 27th September 1825 for the opening of the first public railway, the S&DR. It was driven by George Stephenson, and it hauled eleven wagons of coal, the carriage 'Experiment' and twenty wagons carrying many passengers in a world-first. After its debut on the S&DR, 'Locomotion' continued to run as a mineral locomotive until it was withdrawn from service in 1841.

It was decided that 'Locomotion' would be preserved for future generations to enjoy, and in 1857, the locomotive was restored at Shildon Works to resemble its original appearance. It was then mounted on a display plinth at North Road Station in Darlington. The locomotive visited various locations around the world and was displayed in places such as Chicago and Paris. In 1883, when 'Locomotion' journeyed to Chicago, it acquired a bell with the legend “Stockton & Darlington Railway”. The 'Locomotion' was also displayed in Liverpool, Newcastle, Edinburgh, York, Manchester, London, Darlington and Shildon. In 1892, 'Locomotion' was relocated to Darlington's Bank Top station. In 1924 and 1961, further restoration of the locomotive occurred at Darlington Works.

For most of its preserved life, the locomotive was based at the Head of Steam Museum in Darlington. 'Locomotion' was moved from there to the Locomotion Museum at Shildon (where it remains today). It was agreed with Darlington Borough Council that 'Locomotion' will be displayed for six months in Head of Steam in the first half of 2025, the 200th anniversary of the S&DR.
Have a question about this product? Let us know